Thank you for sharing your time and talent with our community! St. Francis screens all volunteers and follows the Diocese of Raleigh Guidelines for the Protection of Minors.
Guided by the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People (USCCB, 2002), the Office of Child and Youth Protection sought to augment safeguards had been in place since 1993 to ensure the safety of children in the Diocese of Raleigh.
The Diocesan Code of Professional Responsibility (1998) was re-written as the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel of the Diocese of Raleigh. All personnel, all who work and “represent the Church by virtue of office, designated position, employment or contract” share high expectations for conduct and respect for those entrusted to our care.
For more information please see the Diocese of Raleigh – Office of Child & Youth Protection
Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
Upcoming Class at St. Francis
Please click on a specific date to register.
If these classes don’t work for you, please click here to view additional classes within the Diocese of Raleigh
If you have any questions, please contact Trina Sugrue, 919-847-8205×245.
All ‘B’ and ‘C’ Level volunteers are required to take the “Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse” class before volunteering.
- Attendance at a training class must occur prior to a background check being processed.
- You may attend class at any Diocese of Raleigh location. Please send a copy of your Certificate of Completion to St. Francis Safe Environment office.
- The class is produced by Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina and the Diocese of Raleigh.
- Training and Safe Environment Level B and Level C status are valid for 5 years.
Please note: Due to the content of the class, children are not permitted. If you are unable to attend class at St. Francis, you may attend the training at another location within the Diocese.
Safe Environment Application Forms
- St. Francis of Assisi screens ALL volunteers.
- Safe Environment certification must be renewed after 5 years.
- Certification is valid across all ministries of St. Francis, the Franciscan School, and St. Francis Preschool.
- Please read St. Francis’ Behaviorial Guidelines.
- You must read and comply with the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh Code of Conduct for Church Personnel (included in your application).
- Applications take approximately 1 week to process.
The following are the volunteer levels at St. Francis with links to application forms. Contact your ministry leader to understand what level you should be. Please complete the appropriate form and return it to the church. The reference forms should be completed by individuals who have seen you interact with children. All paperwork is kept confidential. If you have any questions, please contact Trina Sugrue, 919-847-8205 x245.
Under the age of 18
Minor Volunteer Application
Remote/occasional contact with youth
Example: Office volunteer
No contact with youth
Example: Finance Council Member
Example: Retreat or Field Trip chaperone
Level C Application
- Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse Safe Environment class is mandatory.
- 3 References from individuals who have seen you interact with children.
- Background check performed by the Diocese
Level C volunteers whose application is over 5 years old.
Level C Renewal Application
- Re-take the Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse Safe Environment class.
- Submit the above application to the parish and the Diocese will re-run the background check.