Who we are…
The Baptism Prep Ministry consists of trained couples who desire to live out their own baptismal promise to share the Good News of Jesus Christ by drawing others to him. They are parents, grandparents and teachers who strive every day to pass on their faith in their own family. They face the same obstacles and challenges we all face in our lives, and in the midst of busy schedules commit of their time and talents to facilitate one to two classes a year.
Want to share of your family’s experience with Baptism?
Team members are invited to help facilitate the session 2-4 times per year in one of three roles: Hospitality, Presentation, and Small Group Discussion.
- Hospitality facilitators would arrive around 9:30 am to help me with setup and preparation of the space, including setting out refreshments for attendees, and greet the participants when they arrive between 9:45 and 10:00 am.
- Presentation facilitators would arrive around 9:45 am, and help lead the first half of the session, and I’d partner with folks each month to get the information in place for this presentation. This includes:
- starting the session with an opening introduction activity (i.e., the “one high and one low of parenting” question from your session)
- sharing a brief teaching on the sacrament of Baptism OR introducing a brief video that does the same, and
- sharing a brief reflection on your experience of baptizing your child
- Small group discussion facilitators sit with families in groups of 6-10 people and invites them to reflect on the questions that will be asked during the Rite of Baptism
Childcare is available throughout the time you’d be volunteering, so you wouldn’t have to line something up on your own. At the end of the session, we’ll short discussion of logistics on the flow of the Rite of Baptism, and share information on how to get a baptism scheduled. After the session ends, everyone is invited to attend the 11:30 am Mass together in the church.
If you would like to join this ministry to the parish community, or just to get more information, please contact Jason Lillis, Family Life Coordinator, at 919-847-8205 x244.